Monday, September 1, 2008

Volcan Pacaya





Wow! What a weeekend! Let's start with Saturday.

I woke up at 5:30 to meet some friends at the travel agency to take a bus to Volcan Pacaya. The bus driver said he did not have room for me. OK. So, I waited and thankfully there were many Americans on the next bus. It took about an hour and a half to get to the volcano. When we got off the bus to begin our trek, little boys offered us walking sticks. If you ever come here, take one. I did not. Thankfully, I didn't fall but I stumbled about 100 times. Our group was called Pantheras (panthers), so the first sentence I learned here was "Vamos Pantheras!" (Let's go, Panthers!) Very useful in the states, I'm sure. So, off we went! After just a few minutes, we started breathing heavily and quite loudly. We were headed to an elevation of more than 2000 meters above sea level. I did not know if we were going to make it, but slowly we got used to the altitude. At the bottom of the volcano, there were beautiful trees. We followed Irma our guide (who does this 14 times a week) along muddy paths. At one point, the trees just stopped, and we saw ash as far as the eye could see. It was like walking on a bean bag. Irma motioned for us to follow her and then she took a flying leap down this black hill. I felt like we should be wearing skiis. It was so fun! Only one woman took a tumble. Then, we crossed an area of rocky ash. By this time, my legs were so tired, they felt like jello. I knew the lava was close, so that kept me going. Up and up and up we climbed. Then, there it was - red, hot, flowing lava. I stepped within 8 feet of it. My face and feet were so hot. Of course, everyone took pictures. Some poked their walking sticks in the lava. No less amazing, was the view - green trees and bushes covered the mountains below and across the way. We did not want to leave but Irma was calling, "Vamos Pantheras!" The way down was easier. Some of my traveling companions were from the UK, so I learned all about tea and biscuits, cricket, and rugby. The volcano tour was an exciting way to begin my time in Guatemala.

5 comments:

Casey said...

Sounds like a lot of fun. Did you get any pictures? I updated Brice's blog so give it a look when you get a chance. I will try to get some more later.

www.outlittlesluggerb.blogspot.com

Love,
KC

Tina said...

I just posted a few pics. So excited to see little Pumpkin's blog. Is he pulling up more?
Love,
T

Casey said...

Cool pictures. I got to look at them briefly. Melanie was actually looking at it. Brice is pulling up more. He can stand up in the bathtub now. He also crawled up a few stairs for the first time today. Sometimes I helped him, but on a few he pretty much did it by himself.

Alex W Blackmon said...

Tina,

I definitely would have liked the volcano. Walking sticks are useful but if you leave them in the lava too long they will no longer be so much.

Good pic's.

Alex

Kelley said...

Just now popped back in here and I see you loaded some pictures from the volcano hike. Great pics! I'm not sure I'd be brave enoug to hike to the top of a volcano, even one not likely to erupt any time soon. But then I've yet to be brave enough and bold enough to go on a trip like yours so you're a lot stronger than i am in those respects! Love ya Tina and often thinking about you on your trip!