Monday, September 22, 2008











I am starting my 4th week of language school. There are 7 levels of instruction. When I pass my test Thursday or Friday, I will move up to level 3. Yippee! I'm making progress.




This weekend I went with 7 other women to Monterrico Beach. We boarded the travel bus at 8am Saturday and then rode for about 2 hours to the edge of nowhere. When we got off the bus, we crammed onto a ferry that looked as if it had survived a hurricane or two. We talked to our new friends from Chile and Germany during our 20 minute ride. When we hopped off the ferry, we walked about half a mile through a very colorful but poor town to the beach. It was very different than the Texas coast because the sand was black due to nearby volcanoes and also there was no one in sight! We had the whole place to ourselves. It is recommended that you do not swim because of the strong undertoe, so we stayed pretty close to shore. After a lunch of shark, chicken, fish, and shrimp, and, of course, hundreds of corn tortillas, we relaxed in hammocks shaded by giant leaves. Ah, what a wonderful half hour! I briefly forgot all about those irregular past tense verbs that give me fits. We headed home rested and ready for another week of school.




If you are wondering how I am really doing, I'll fill you in. The first 2 weeks were difficult because everything was new and I missed everyone like crazy. I still miss everyone, but I am taking it a day at a time, enjoying this experience to the fullest. I have a new appreciation for everything in the states.




I pray everyone is doing well. I miss y'all!




No comments: