Monday, September 1, 2008

The Church Found Us




I was the only student in my house until Saturday evening. I was overjoyed when Chelsea, a 25 year old nutritionist from Phoenix, Arizona joined the family.


Sunday morning she and I began our search for a church. We ran into an Amish family who was also searching. We all finally decided to give up and go find an internet cafe when a Guatemalan man started talking to us. We had no idea what he was saying, but we looked up and saw the sign, "Iglesia Cristiana Vida y Fe" (Christian Church Life and Faith). YEA! We sang for about an hour. I knew a few of the songs and tried to sing them in Spanish. Then, the pastor preached on having strong morals. A young man interpreted for us. After church, we explored the huge market with our friend Kathryn from Georgia. It was "indoors" meaning there were leaking tin roofs over parts of it. I mostly saw fruit, vegetables, shoes, clothes, CD's, and toys.


I decided to read in my room that afternoon but opted to nap when the electricity went out.


In the evening, Chelsea and I walked to Bible Study at "Higher Grounds", the YWAM coffee shop. The World Race Missionaries were there. They told stories of their time in Mexico City and Antigua. I wish they were staying longer, but they head to Thailand Wednesday. We studied I Timothy 5 line by line by candlelight. Everyone was very open about their beliefs and experiences. Then, we had a sweet prayer time together.






1 comment:

Alex W Blackmon said...

Pretty awesome! The church has legs. So do they have rolling blackouts there? I was reading about your church experience and thought you wrote that a young man interrupted you. There's a big difference between interrupting and interpreting but then again I am somewhere dislexic.

Alex